Thursday, May 13, 2010

Out of my natural habitat

I had a "moment" this past weekend, when I realized how much the X Deuce had changed me as a person. Now, when I first started riding, especially during peak crazo hours (aprox. 11:00am to 3:00pm), I quietly freaked out at just about anything. Even having traveled in various sketch modes of transportation in far more foreign and dangerous situations, being in an environment right in my neighborhood and yet completely removed from my "normal" took a lot of adjusting. But apparently, I've gotten over it. I was taking the Circulator bus from the National Mall (where all those big monuments and museums are) to Union Station with two friends, both of whom also ride the X2. Now, the Circulator is a different beast, as it were, than other WMATA buses. It primarily caters to tourists, and has fixed loop routes through major areas of the city. After taking the scenic, and most likely unintended route around most of the area around the Capitol, we finally stopped for passengers to get off. Being in the back half of the bus, my friends and I went to exit the back door, which was closed. So, in her best X2 voice, my friend hollas (no other verb for it), "Back doah!" to which I added "Comin out bus driva!" It wasn't til we stepped off the bus and saw the odd looks that we were getting from the various tourists and yuppies that we realized that our normal bus etiquette was not how all buses operate. For instance, the X2: barrel down the street as fast as possible, screech to a halt and scramble to get on/off the bus. Be prepared to yell at the bus driver to actually get your stop, as well as holla/push the back door open manually. Compare that to the Circulator, with 1/3 the people, 4/3 the air conditioning, and 1/2 the speed, all within the comfortable bounds of tourist DC (one of our fellow riders joked about not wanting the driver to get lost and end up in Northeast DC. Our response: That'd be great!) Just a reality check for both my neighborhood, and the rest of the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment