Friday, September 24, 2010

Justice System, Part I

So in the course of my nerdy government analyst job, I spent one not-so-beautiful spring day at the Capitol, attending a hearing on the Bureau of Prisons. Now these guys are badass, talking about things like "stun lethal fencing", "Supermax designations," "Solitary Housing Units" and other Shawshank Redemption-like things. One of their major challenges is finding enough staff to cover all the functions of a prison, and as a result they can't monitor inmate communications, especially the new email systems that are being installed. So. That evening I'm on the X Crazy on my way home, and these two older men are sitting in front of me, talking about their buddy Tyrone. Apparently, Tyrone is in prison, and was recently transferred, which is good news and bad news. Good news, it's minimum security, cuz he gettin old, and it's nicer. But now he can't talk with his family because they're too far away to visit, "and you has to read good and write good to send a letter." Only now it's even tougher, "cuz you gotta read good, pencil push good, and finger type good, cuz now dey got the email."

Seeing it and living it in the same 8 hour day. Thank you X2, for your social commentary. Stay tuned for Part II, or All I need to know about the justice system I learned on the X Deuce.

No comments:

Post a Comment